Friday, August 19, 2011

The Trek Home...

We left Niagara Falls and headed to Sandusky, OH and spent two nights & one full day at Cedar Point amusement park.  We all LOVE roller coasters so it was a blast!  But, I hardly took any pictures...I was too busy riding the rides!  :)

We stayed at one of the park's hotel properties, the Breakers Express, (I would highly recommend it).  So, we got into the park one hour before the general public which meant we rode most of the rides before it got crowded.  (Thanks for the tip Liz!) 

Our favorite ride was  Top Thrill Dragster!  It was like nothing I've ever ridden before!  Everyone kept telling us that we needed to ride The Maverick (it was not one of the rides that we were able to ride before the park opened).  So, we waited in line for 45 minutes.  The kids got on, rode it, gave it a thumbs up (that's how they tell me if I should ride it or not cuz' I hate roller coasters that are jerky and throw you around).   Dave and I were the next up when they stopped the ride due to a severe lightening/thunder storm.  We tried to wait it out so we wouldn't lose our place in line, but the storm got too bad and they made everyone head for cover.
(The spots all over the picture are rain drops.)

 Once we realized it was not going to stop raining anytime soon, and that all the rides were pretty much shut down until the storm passed, we decided to leave the park, have an early dinner, let the kids swim, and get some much needed sleep.  Even though we left earlier than planned (4:00 p.m.), we felt like we had a fun, full day!  Getting in an hour early made all the difference! 

We got up early the next day and drove 520 miles to St. Louis, Missouri.  Our old neighbors (& dear friends), the Goodman's, moved to St. Louis several years ago (sniff, sniff).  So, we finally got to see their beautiful house and go out to dinner.  I'm still kicking myself for not taking a single picture...what was I thinking?!  Sadly, we only got to spend a couple hours together but we'll be back, don't you worry!  :)  

We then drove another 270 miles to Sedalia, Missouri where we spent the night.  Sedalia was the "big town" next to where Dave grew up.  His house/school was in a little, teeny, tiny town called Green Ridge about 11 miles from Sedalia.  But, Sedalia is where he spent most of his time.  It is a town full of memories for him and he was so excited to be back and show the kids where all of his crazy stories took place.  Although I did have to remind him to "filter" the stories as our kids aren't quite old enough to hear about all of the "fun"!  ;) 

The next day we drove to Green Ridge and showed the kids his school and his home...

Then we stopped and visited his friend, Lendell...

and Lendell's family...
After driving another 720 miles, (and a total of 4,644 miles) we finally got home in the wee hours of the morning.  We were tired but had a fantastic trip!

0 comments: