Thursday, February 5, 2009

Trash Treasures

Lauren and her friend Katelyn (above) love to "make stuff" and have been known to rummage through peoples recycling bins, trash cans, etc. They like to collect empty milk jugs, water bottles, you name it and have made some pretty impressive stuff such as this "lizard house"...
(Known by Taylor as the "bug torture house")
...and this "lizard house"...
Let me preface this story with a disclaimer...We have talked to them until we are blue in the face about not taking things out of other people's trash or our trash without asking first.
So, we were in Houston a couple of weeks ago for my Uncle's funeral. We had gone in to use the restroom at the funeral home. When we were leaving the restroom, I noticed something green in Lauren's hand and asked to see what it was. She had gotten into the "nifty" little trash cans inside of the stall and found herself a "rocket" (or that's what she called it). Unbeknown to her, it was not a rocket, but a discarded tampon applicator. Can I tell you that I almost lost my lunch... We washed our hands, sanitized them, and rewashed them. Of course when I explained to her what it was, she started to cry because she was embarrassed. Although it was extremely GROSS...
I couldn't help but chuckle to myself just a little bit! :)

3 comments:

Julie said...

You know they are so creative you should be proud that they use their imaginations to play! However, that story about the rocket almost made me spit my coffee out from laughing. TOO funny!!!!

Liz Horton said...

You got to love it- you will be laughing about this one for generations- now that it is written in the family journal. You're great!

Tonia said...

My middle three are all trash to treasure experts. However, I'm not always so excited for their creations cluttering their rooms. I need to work on that one. We have yet to discover rockets-Ewwwwwww! Poor Lauren!